Iran’s Foreign Ministry said on Monday that it warned the US from any attempts to grasp its oil tanker again, affirming that such an action would have “serious consequences.”
Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi said in a press conference that Tehran sent necessary warnings to the US from any efforts to seize Iranian oil supertanker which was released on Sunday.
The Iranian oil vessel “Grace 1” was seized last month by the British Royal Marines off Gibraltar on suspicion of transporting 2.1 million barrels of oil to the Syrian regime in contravention of European Union sanctions.
The seizure has escalated tensions between Tehran and the West. It also caused a political conflict in the Gulf region between Iran in aside, and the US and the UK in the other side, when Iran which controls navigation in the Strait of Hormuz responded by capturing British and European tankers.
Last week, the Supreme Court in Gibraltar ordered the release of the Iranian tanker despite the US request to keep seizing the tanker.
Tensions between Tehran and Washington increased after Trump pulled out his country in 2018 from the historic Iran deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) which signed in 2015.
The US administration also re-imposed a wave of economic sanctions against Iran that were lifted under the nuclear deal.