A bomb attack on Saturday on a police checkpoint in North Sinai’s city of Al-Arish killed two policemen and injured nine security personnel, according to state-owned media.
The attack took place a few hours after the Ministry of Interior announced in a statement that police forces killed 14 militants in the city of Ismailia and 2 others in 6th of October city, Giza.
An unnamed official source told state-owned media that the Ministry of Interior is intensifying security measures in the area of the attack, while explosives experts are sweeping the area for bombs.
On Friday, a suicide bomber stormed into the military post in the village of Rafah in North Sinai, killing at least 25 military personnel.
Military Spokesperson Tamer Al-Rifai said that clashes between army forces and militants at several outposts in southern Rafah killed around 40 militants and led to the destruction of 6 cars that were used in the attack. Al-Rifai also posted pictures of the militants killed.
Sinai Province has declared responsibility for Friday’s attack in an online statement, which was circulated by the group’s affiliates and supporting news outlets.
Previously known as Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, Sinai Province reportedly pledged alliance to the Islamic State (IS) group in 2014, to become the IS’s active branch in Egypt.