Five Egyptians died in Saudi Arabia on Monday during pilgrimage, the Egyptian Ministry of Health announced in a statement, raising the total number of deaths to 28.
Officials at the ministry said that all the deaths are due to natural causes. The citizens were from different pilgrimage groups.
Spokesperson of the ministry said that other pilgrims received medical care in several hospitals in Saudi Arabia. Most cases of death take place as a result of fatigue.
There are ongoing awareness campaigns to ensure Egyptians’ prevention of infectious disease during pilgrimage. The ministry also stated that the capacity of medication and essential equipment had been reviewed to ensure sufficiency for the all pilgrims.
Approximately 86,000 Egyptian pilgrims traveled to Saudi Arabia to perform Hajj this year, which started on Saturday.
Last year, a stampede took the lives of around 126 Egyptians.