Daily News Egypt

Airstrikes leave scores dead ahead of Syria ceasefire - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area



Advertising Area



Airstrikes leave scores dead ahead of Syria ceasefire

Hours after the announcement of a US-Russia brokered ceasefire deal aimed at ending the five-year conflict in Syria, fighting has escalated. Nearly 100 civilians have been killed in airstrikes.


Hours after the announcement of a US-Russia brokered ceasefire deal aimed at ending the five-year conflict in Syria, fighting has escalated. Nearly 100 civilians have been killed in airstrikes.
The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights on Saturday reported that at least 58 civilians had been killed in rebel-held Idlib after warplanes bombed a marketplace in the northwestern city, hours after the terms of a nationwide ceasefire deal were announced.

In Aleppo, the Syrian army launched attacks on rebel-held areas in a bid to maximize gains ahead of the “cessation of hostilities,” which begins at sundown on Monday for the Muslim holiday Eid al-Adha.

“The fighting is flaring on all the fronts of southern Aleppo,” said Captain Abdul Salam Abdul Razak, a rebel spokesman of the Nour al-Din al Zinki Brigades, which form part of the Free Syrian Army (FSA). At least 30 people were killed in the attacks, according to the Observatory.

US-Russia deal

The uptick in violence follows the announcement earlier Saturday of a ceasefire deal, brokered between the US and Russia after lengthy talks in Geneva. Under the agreement, Moscow will pressure the Syrian government to end its military campaign against US-backed rebels.

In exchange, the US will launch joint military operations with Russia against the rebranded Jabhat Fatah al-Sham, formerly known as the al-Qaeda affiliate Nusra Front, if the ceasefire is observed for a minimum of seven days.

“This requires halting all attacks, including aerial bombardments, and any attempts to gain additional territory at the expense of the parties to the cessation. It requires unimpeded and sustained humanitarian access to all of the besieged and hard-to-reach areas, including Aleppo,” said US Secretary of State John Kerry.

Unofficial approval from Syrian government

The government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has made no official comment on the agreement. Instead, Syrian state media said the government offered its approval of the deal, citing private sources.

Basma Kodmani, of the Saudi-backed opposition alliance High Negotiations Committee (HNC), said the group is cautious of the agreement, adding that there needed to be mechanisms to ensure the “enforcement of the deal.”

The Syrian conflict erupted in 2011, when government forces launched a violent crackdown on pro-democracy protesters calling for Assad to step down. More than 250,000 people have been killed and more than half the population displaced in five years, according to UN figures.

ls/cmk (Reuters, AP, dpa, AFP)


Advertising Area


https://cdn1.dailynewsegypt.com/2016/09/11/airstrikes-leave-scores-dead-ahead-of-syria-ceasefire/
Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter
Subscribe