Security forces in North Sinai have reportedly killed 15 militants and injured another 12 following severe clashes Saturday.
Citing a security source in North Sinai, privately-owned newspaper Al-Watan reported that a terrorist cell raided a school near Rafah’s border as they were being chased by security forces. The forces then put the school under siege and clashes broke out between the militants and security forces.
On 19 July, parliament approved the extension of the state of emergency in North Sinai, following a presidential decree ordering that it continue. The curfew hours were first imposed in 2014 and have been continuously renewed since then.
Several North Sinai residents previously told Daily News Egypt that the state of emergency has negatively affected their businesses and day-to-day lives. Residents also said that militancy tends to increase after curfew hours begin.
Sinai has become the scene of frequent clashes following the ouster of former president Mohamed Morsi. The unrest has been escalated by militants affiliated with Islamic State and the clashes between them and the Armed Forces have caused a number casualties, including civilians.