A Moqattam misdemeanours court sentenced 13 people to two years in prison on Saturday, for attacking journalists and activists outside the Muslim Brotherhood headquarters in March 2013.
Among those sentenced are thought to be seven former bodyguards of Deputy Supreme Guide of the Brotherhood Khairat Al-Shater, according to state-owned Al-Ahram.
Spokeswoman for the Muslim Brotherhood Wafaa Al-Banna confirmed the sentencing of 13 people but disputed that 7 of them were Al-Shater’s bodyguards, saying she was only aware of two. “Whatever is being said could just be labelling,” Al-Banna said.
Speaking about the numerous trials against Muslim Brotherhood members and affiliates Al-Banna said, “None of them [the trials] meet international or Egyptian standards.” She said that detainees are not allowed access to lawyers and also claimed detainees are tortured during their imprisonment.
“There is no real substantial proof for anything, and the sentences are pre-prepared,” she said.
She believes the trials are an attempt “to pressure the coalition [Anti-Coup Alliance] to give up and accept the coup [the ouster of former President Mohamed Morsi].”
The clashes in March last year outside the Muslim Brotherhood headquarters resulted in over 100 injuries. Journalists who claimed they were attacked filed a report at the time against Morsi, Supreme Guide Mohamed Badie, and Al-Shater. They complained that Al-Shater’s bodyguards attacked them.