The I Saw Harassment initiative launched a 24-hour operations room on Monday to monitor incidents of sexual harassment during the Sham El-Nessim holiday.
They announced that volunteers would cover the Nile Corniche from Shubra to Qasr El-Nil to warn citizens against sexual violence and offer psychological and legal support to women who experience violence.
They also offer the ‘Safe car’ service for women subjected to harassment in the Nile Corniche area and educate people on how to respond to sexual harassment.
“What we have noticed so far is the poor security presence in the area,” said Fathi Farid, an I Saw Harassment coordinator.
He added that after sunset, the number of people in public parks and on the street will increase: “The number of police personnel on the streets won’t be enough to deal with any violations.”
A statement issued by the initiative held the Ministry of Interior responsible for any cases of sexual harassment during the holiday. The statement also urged the cabinet to create real solutions to harassment.
“The lack of laws criminalising harassment encourages the phenomenon,” Farid said, adding that most political or religious figures who addressed the issue held women responsible instead of the harasser.
I Saw Harassment urged women and their families to report harassment and called on the media to respect the privacy of victims of harassment.